GREAT BRITAIN London Institution 43mm bronze medal 28.95 grams Countermarked "485*" (members number) by W. Wyon
Obverse: classical figure with scroll; standing lamp, STUDIO FALLENTE LABOREM / MDCCCVII / W. WYON S. / MINT
Reverse: arms of City of London, LONDON INSTITUTION 485*
The London Institution was an educational institution founded in London in 1806. It closed in 1912 and the buildings were used for the University of London until their demolition in 1936.
From A MEMOIR OF THE LIFE AND WORKS OF WILLIAM WYON Esq ARA CHIEF ENGRAVER OF THE ROYAL MINT - THE LONDON INSTITUTION
A Medallick Ticket of Admission for The Members of THE LONDON INSTITUTION Obverse An elegant figure of STUDY slightly draped seated and reading with an antique Candelabrum before her legend STUDIO FALLENTE LABOREM in the Exergue MDCCCVII Reverse The Arms of The London Institution surmounted by a Lion inscription LONDON INSTITUTION. One Thousand impressions of this Medal were struck in bronze in the year 1831
William Wyon RA (1795 – 1851), was official chief engraver at the Royal Mint from 1828 until his death. He was born in Birmingham and, in 1809, was apprenticed to his father, Peter Wyon who was an engraver and die sinker. In 1816 he was appointed assistant engraver to the mint, and in 1828 chief engraver. In 1831 he was elected associate and in 1838 full member of the Royal Academy. He was the father of engraver Leonard Charles Wyon.