GREAT BRITAIN 1813 Presentation of Colours, 41mm copper medal 33.01 grams, from 1820 by N.G.A. Brenet and T. Webb for the Mudie National Series, (Mudie 11, BHM 769, Eimer 1035)
The military college was founded at High Wycombe in 1799, it removed to Great Marlow in 1802 and to Sandhurst in 1812. On the 8th August 1813, the Bishop of Salisbury consecrated the new chapel and it was probably on this occasion that Queen Charlotte presented the colours.
Obverse: bust facing left, FIELD MARSHALL F. DUKE OF YORK
Reverse: Queen Charlotte presents colours, one inscribed VIRES ACQUIRIT EUNDO; beyond, Academy portico, PRESENTATION OF COLOURS BY HER MAJESTY AUGUST 1813 / 1802; facade of the Academy above D.
James Mudie's series of forty "National Medals" was produced in 1820 and manufactured by Sir Edward Thomason in Birmingham, England. The medals celebrate British triumphs in the Napoleonic wars over the French spanning a 20 year period, from 1797 to 1817. They serve as a counter to the numerous, officially issued French medals glorifying the battles and events of Napoleon's reign. They are the same size, 41 millimeters as the official Napoleonic medals, and most of the dies were produced in France.
Nicolas-Guy-Antoine Brenet (c1770 - 1846) was a French medallist, and pupil of Girod and Gatteaux. From 1808 onward he was employed producing a large quantity of commemorative medals of French historical events that occurred under the Empire, the Restoration and the July Monarchy, and almost surprisingly by John Mudie for his “National Series”.
Thomas Webb (1797 - 1822) was an English coin and medal engraver. He is associated with the Royal Birmingham Society of Artists. Webb worked for the noted metal producer, Sir Edward Thomason who struck the Mudie series.