MERCHANTS BANK OF PRINCE EDWARD ISLAND Souris PEI Branch 1899 Postal Cover
This bank existed from 1871 until 1906 when it was bought by the Canadian Bank of Commerce. When the bank opened it had a capital of just 30,000 pounds. It hit some rough times between 1878 and 1884, but it survived and prospered as other banks in PEI failed. The Merchants Bank had six branches in 1906 when it was bought.