NEW BRUNSWICK St John 1902 Edward VII Royal Hotel 32mm white metal medal 10.0 grams, holed for suspension, rim bruise. Photo of the King St location is not included.
The original Royal Hotel was founded in 1872 and situated on Prince William Street at that time. It was relocated to King Square in 1877, the year of the Great Fire of Saint John. It moved to new premises constructed at 43 King Street in 1881. This hotel had 125 units, 40 of which had private baths. It was six stories high with amenities: electric lights, electric elevators, wine and billiard rooms, barber shop, bookstall, parlours. The proprietors were W.E. Raymond and H.A. Doherty, both experienced in the hotel business. W.E. Raymond was also president of the New Brunswick Tourist Association. The last owner of this hotel was Mitchell Franklin, who sold it to developers in 1973. Demolition of the Royal Hotel began in 1974 for the construction of the Brunswick Square complex.